Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Point and Go!

Today I decided to go to Menotomy Rocks Park in Arlington. This was completely an impulsive decision, as I just needed to get out of the house. I got into the car, pointed to the map, and picked it. I actually picked a few places, called Colleen, and had her help me choose. But, it was otherwise impulsive. I had never heard of it, which is unfortunate, because it is a great place! It's a large, protected park made of several fields, a small pond (Hill's Pond pictured here), and several easy trails weaving throughout the woods. It was definitely a nice break from the busy city and the boring condo. I took a walk through a few of the short trails, none of which seem at all strenuous. They do have signs along the way that confused me quite a bit, suggesting that there is some sort of gymnastic events that happen here. They were labeled, "Vita Course" followed by a number and different instructions for how to contort or swing your body using hanging rings. I actually did see wiring that might be used for this, but not any rings for gymnastics. Very strange. Apparently many wooded trails have Vita Courses that include different fitness stations requiring different routines. These all seemed to focus on ring swinging. I hadn't heard of the Vita Course, so it seemed random to me, but maybe it's not. Overall, I really enjoyed the walk and then sat with my feet in the pond and read a book. This is a popular spot for dog owners and their dogs, as there were probably six dogs in and out of the pond while I was there. I was frequently visited by one while I read my book, further motivating me to one of these days get a dog of my own. Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas one of these years!

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered this place last week with Dylan. He knows it very well and gave me the tour. I am looking forward to heading back there next week with him. Play date?

    ReplyDelete