Friday, August 14, 2009

Mike vs. The Fruit Flies

If you have a fruit fly problem, which I did, there is an easy solution. And surprisingly, it actually works! I'm sure most of you already knew this, but this was the first time I tried it, so it was a fun experiment. Here are the basic steps:
1. Get rid of or seal away/refrigerate any fruit, particularly that which is prone to fermentation
2. Clean up any spills that are sweet or sugary
3. Place any fruit peel, in this case banana, in a bowl, dish, or cup
4. Add a bit (tablespoon perhaps) of any vinegary liquid, in this case balsamic. Wine or other vinegars will work.
5. Seal tightly with plastic wrap.
6. Puncture a few times with fork. Make sure holes are not too big.
7. Put aside and the rest takes care of itself.

The results? Hey'oooh! The fruit flies climb in for a snack and cannot get out. And the best part is, they ALL go in, leaving no fruit flies around my kitchen. Within a few days they will all be dead and my problem solved. (I read the life span is 10 days, but I'm hoping less for these poor guys) Long story short, Mike wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment