Monday, August 17, 2009

Wrapping Up Another Season

Summer ultimate came to a close this past weekend with the 2-day tournament out at Devens, MA. Fetch played six games over the two days of 90+ degree temps and very little wind. The up side is that we played great frisbee, showing a level of intensity and skill we hadn't shown all season. The down side is that we finished lower than we have in 3 or 4 years, getting knocked out in the quarters. (Two years ago we won the championship and last year we lost in the finals.) We finished 2-4 over the weekend, winning two tough games 13-11 and 14-13. The games we lost were also very close, 13-14, 9-15, 11-13, an 9-14. The first game of the weekend was our best, as we nearly beat the highly skilled and fast MIT-based team, WuWu, who had beaten us in the season very easily. At 13-13, we started on offense and began to work it up, but Dawon made a sharp, wide dump pass to me, forcing me to lay out and the disc bouncing off my finger tips. WuWu took quick advantage of this and got the score. Spencer is still heckling me (although he didn't see my layout attempt) that if I had caught it, he was sprinting toward the endzone for an easy huck and score. Oh well, it was the game that got away. This first game also left me with several cleat-shaped bruises, proof of my efforts; war wounds if you will. The rest of the weekend had its ups and downs, but it was such a blast and it finally felt like this year's team came together and gelled better than it had all season. Hopefully everyone comes back so we can keep improving for the tournament in 2010! Now it's time to rest up, recover, and enjoy the rest of the summer. Perhaps I'll put some ice on those bruises....or maybe some beer! Thanks again to all my teammates for sticking it out and working hard, as well as to our "fans" and supporters, several who came out both days and cheered us on while sitting under the hot sun. You guys are all great! By the way, Happy Birthday Colleen and Mary!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Everyone is smiling in the group picture except for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the, "I'm tough, so I don't need to smile," look. Everyone else has it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. However, how would you describe Tout's expression? Zoom in, it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i gave you the bruises. the facial expression was me wondering why i didn't do more

    ReplyDelete