Thursday, August 6, 2009

I Enjoy Beer

My father, brother, girlfriend, and I went to RoadHouse in Brookline for dinner tonight. I had only been there once before for drinks and apps as part of the volunteer prep chat with the BeerAdvocate folks prior to the America Craft Brew Festival this past June. They had just changed their menu entirely, away from a BBQ and more toward a Tex/Mex Creole type menu. Apparently some of the locals (residents? stores?) in snobby Brookline had a problem with the smokey aromas coming from the restaurant, and ended up somehow forcing the establishment to rid itself of its smoker. So, bye-bye BBQ. Fortunately, the menu was great and a nice surprise for all of us. Most of our meals were very good, definitely worthy of another visit. To accompany my meal, I first tried the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, which is described as an "American Saison." Most saison's are traditionally (or historically) Belgian, but there are some very good French, and even Italian, versions of the style. Additionally, it is made solely with Japanese hops. So, I was fascinated by the fact that I was drinking an American version of a Belgian beer made only with Japanese hops. What a way to cover the globe! Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. Pretty well balanced, smooth, but with a pleasant spicey bite and aftertaste to it. It paired well with my spicey fajitas! I would agree with the rating it receives on BeerAdvocate.com. I followed that up with the Wachusett "Larry," a very hoppy imperial IPA. I'm back into IPAs lately, and this one did not disappoint. Very strong (around 7% abv, so not crazy strong) with a powerful hop presence. It had a prominent bready mouthfeel and a floral, citrus aroma and flavor. It wasn't overly bitter, but the hops up front were very powerful. It was very good. Again, although it only has one review on BeerAdvocate, I agree again. I often end my meals with something desserty, like a stout or a barleywine. But, following two relatively strong beers, I was all set and needed to drive home. All the more reason to go back again soon! Who wants to join me?

1 comment: