Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mmmm...Summer.

I finally cracked open the first sample of the Summer Ale I brewed a few weeks ago. As you can see, it poured an orangey, golden color without much of a head. It definitely has all of the typical flavors of what one would taste in a seasonal summer ale--wheat, lemon zest, orange. It is crisp, sweet, and very drinkable. And yes, I can just barely taste a hint of basil! I like this one, and it extremely easy to make. I can't take credit for the recipe, unfortunately, except for the basil addition, which still was late and impulsive. This was a Brewer's Best kit given to me as a birthday gift. So, kudos to them! Adding the basil did give me the urge to experiment with different spices and flavors. For example, rosemary is one of my favorite spices to cook with, so why not brew with it?! Who knows what'll end up in my next brew. That's the beauty of homebrewing that sets it apart from just picking up a six-pack at the liquor store. It's completely my own!

3 comments:

  1. Any chance you can bottle just one of them? Then I can taste it even though I will not be there to celebrate with it in the keg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are several in the bottle. Only 3 gallons are kegged.

    ReplyDelete