Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shifting Focus

Due to some recent inspiration, I've decided to focus my blog completely on anything and everything I imbibe. I will try to share with you beverages that I create or discover, enjoy or despise. Although this has been most of what I've already begun to post about, at this point I will limit all of my posts to this passion of mine. And I won't simply talk about beer. I will share my thoughts on bourbon, mead, spirits, coffee, tea, and more. And I promise to try my hardest to actually keep somewhat of a routine and not leave too much time between posts. I'll at least try.

Ok, so for my first post of this new shift, I bring you: Rittenhouse 100--Straight Rye Whiskey.


I have enjoyed bourbon for a few years now. But, I have only recently started to enjoy rye whiskey, thanks to my fellow imbiber, David Zade. So, it only makes sense to get out there and find some worthy rye whiskeys to "evaluate."

I first learned of Rittenhouse 100 in Imbibe Magazine (notice one of my inspirations for my new title?). After a blind tasting of six ryes, Rittenhouse came out on top with 4.5/5 stars. They described it as: "full and sweet with layers of toasted grain and vanilla backed by a peppery spice.....complex.....well-rounded and balanced with enough nuance and backbone to make it great for sipping or mixing." This was also priced lowest of the six, ranging from $22-48. Ryes can reach much higher of course, but they were only testing a few under $50, which is good for my wallet!

Location Purchased: Julio's Liquors, Westborough, MA

Specs: 750 ml, 100 proof (50% abv), $19.99 (!!!)

Impressions:
Imbibe Magazine definitely got it right. I really enjoy this whiskey. It has the caramel and vanilla that I am used to with most bourbons. But it is drier and spicier, giving it a nice balance. I taste some really nice honey flavors, while a slight tobacco and pepper flavor sneaks in the swallow. It is a sweeter rye than a few I've had, which is good for those just getting into ryes. This is a strong drink at 50% abv and could easily be cut with a splash of water or ice. This might smooth it out more and perhaps bring out even more flavors and layers. The concept of adding water to a spirit first threw me off. But the more I read about how to enjoy bourbons, and the more I experiment, I realize that this definitely has its benefits. Either way, Rittenhouse 100 is a great rye whiskey and I'm pretty excited that it's only $20. Of course, that's a bit dangerous, since it will allow me to drink it up faster. At least we can rest assured that I have rock solid will power!

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment