Thursday, April 21, 2011

In Love with a Gal Named, Sofie!

Sorry, Colleen. You're quite wonderful, too. But you'll have to share my affection with Sofie. She is a Belgian Farmhouse Ale created by Goose Island Brewing Co. out of Chicago. On a side note, you may be interested to know that Goose Island was recently "bought out" by Anheuser-Busch. Look it up and enjoy a fun debate of the pros and cons with a fellow craft beer enthusiast.
Now, focusing back on the wonderful Sofie.

Sofie has quickly become one of my favorite beers. She is light, complex, flavorful, and refreshing. The aroma and flavor are both bursting with citrus and a slight Belgiany funkiness. She is tart, a bit sweet yet dry on the finish, and effervescent. She's a bit different from other Saisons or Belgian farmhouse ales, but she maintains many similar qualities. She just has a bit more citrus/orange flavor than other flavors that I'd expect, such as a "barnyard," yeasty, hay type flavor (if that appeals to you). Sofie does have a peppery spiciness that others share, which is nice.

The bottle description itself is a bit vague. It reads, "80% Belgian style Ale blended with 20% Belgian Style Ale aged in wine barrels with orange peel." The orange peel part is obvious, but nowhere does it specify it as a Saison or farmhouse ale. The bottle also explains that it develops in the bottle for up to 5 years. That's interesting. Perhaps I'll try to hold on to a few bottles just to test the aging process. That is, if I can keep from drinking them!

Goose Island's website is a bit more descriptive about the brewing process and flavor profiles. I won't repeat what they say in case you want to read it for yourself. They do say that it pairs well with shellfish or with Brie cheese. I'm currently enjoying Sofie with wild Coho salmon over organic greens and tomato, which I find pairs just fine. This really is a perfect beer for the summer. So those looking for a fantastic alternative to typical beers you drink in the heat, definitely pick up Sofie. You can usually find a 22 oz bomber in any liquor store that has a good beer selection. I was excited to find that Julio's out in Westboro had a four pack of 12 oz bottles, which allows me to only sample smaller amounts while having more fresh, unopened bottles to enjoy later.

Sofie may be a bit different, and perhaps a stretch, if you are only used to drinking typical American beers or macro-produced lagers. Belgian beers sometimes take some time getting used to. But, man, the complexity and refreshing flavors are unmatched. I definitely urge you to try this one. Goose Island really makes some spectacular beers (another beer among my top choices is their Bourbon County Stout....holy cow!). I just hope the merge with AB doesn't negatively impact the quality of their beers. Anyways, I hope you find Sofie as mesmerizing as I do. She's a beauty! Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment